The Kentucky Theater Association:
- Operates as a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, first incorporated in April 1971.
- Serves as the sole organization connecting theatres at all levels across the state.
- Prioritizes the annual fall conference, bringing together professional, community, college/university and high school theatres artists from across the state.
- Partners in the region with Southeastern Theatre Conference (SETC); American Association of Community Theatres; American Alliance for Theatre and Education; and the National Society of Arts and Letters.
- Operates with a December 1 – November 30 fiscal year.
- Supports members including professional theatres, community theatres, college & high school theatre programs, K-16 educators, actors, directors, writers, technical theatre professionals, and audience members.