Board Meeting Minutes (2017-06-04)

Kentucky Theatre Association

 

Board of Directors Meeting

 

Sunday June 4, 2017

 

Lexington Children’s Theatre

 

2:00-4:00pm

Wayne Kirsch, Jeremy Kisling, Kim Miller, Zach Ross, Alicia Henning, Dawn Connerly, Brad Downall, and Phil Neace

 

Sarah Diamond Burroway and Shelby Steege (on the phone)

 

Agenda

 

2:00pm Welcome

 

2:10pm Conference call starts

 

Additions to Agenda

  • Nothing New

 

Approval of Minutes

  • Jeremy moved to approve, zach 2nd
  • All Approved with the change to SETC acronym in the minutes

 

Treasurer’s Report

  • We are where we were at from the beginning of the year (nothing changed with MG festival)

 

2017 Proposed Budget

  • Change- we have agreed to support for SETC to $500 per school
    • Suggested we change the amount based on the distance the festival is each year (more further away, less closer to home)
      • Could be an issue from year to year change since some schools would get
    • Suggested that we link the amount to milage
      • Possibly a flat fee plus an amount per mile
    • Suggested that for THIS year we hold to the increased rate and see how that works for this year
      • Suggested that we explore funds from other sources to assist schools (some states get grants from the state to help not just the state Theater Association)
  • Membership Seems low
    • We should be striving for that to increase
    • What should it be- closer to $2,000
      • All the board members, schools, community theaters pay for registration (should be about $1,500)
  • Usually the audition registration is lower
    • Closer to $8,000
    • Suggested that maybe we could keep it up if we offered trying to organize some form of transportation that the auditionees pay for.
      • Would be a lot to organize for this year
    • We had a lot of “out of state” auditionees due to our date being later in the season
  • We lower the audition to $8,000 and increase the membership to $2000 we would be $1,000 off
    • Suggested we plan for more Middle School entries
    • Suggested that we do a per performer fee for Community Theater (more like SETC)
    • Suggested we do a performance fee and then an additional fee (like $15 per performer)
      • Would the performers expect something more for this (like a t-shirt, ect)
        • We will table this for now
  • Concerns about expenditures
    • There is currently nothing in the SETC rep line
      • Usually $850 to offset the cost for the Fall and Spring meetings
  • The High School Festival registration is also a little low
    • Possibly closer to $2,800
  • Will Jeremy be conference coordinator again this year?
    • Someone should possibly train with Jeremy (co-coordinator?)
    • We need someone at the registration table
      • Suggested
        • College student
        • Board members sign up
        • Pay someone (give them a flat fee?) / intern
        • Add: $500 to budget for hotel/ small stipend
    • There would be some travel cost for  Conference coordinator
      • Much of it can be done by phone
      • Maybe Brad and Jeremy does it this year and create a manual
  • Are we okay with having a budget that is not balanced (at least on paper)
    • We do have money in reserve
    • If we approve the budget with changes it is $2,775 off
      • Motion made and approved to approve budget with the understanding that we will have to dip into our cash reserves for this year to offset the budget.
        • Jeremy moves for approval and Alicia seconded
  • Membership building
    • Do we give them anything for their membership
      • Letter? Pin? Pen?
      • Do we remind them about renewal

 

Committee Reports/Discussions

 

Middle School Festival- Sarah Diamond Burroway

  • Best festival EVER!
  • 5 entries
    • A 6th that dropped out due to having a cast of MS/ HS
  • PD was very popular (for teachers and students)
  • Thanks Jeremy and Phil for their assistance
  • How can we help to make connections from the Middle Grades festival to High School festival
  • Will need support from board members for PD opportunities
  • Zach- What can we add to the website (we have an outdated info)
    • Sarah and Zach discuss info to add to the website
    • Registration info and basic festival info
  • Venue?
    • Looking at keeping it in Central Kentucky
    • Possibly back to Spencer County for 5th season

 

High School Regionals  Locations/Dates- Brad Downall

  • All 5 sites and dates confirmed
    • Western- Sept 30th- Owensboro High School
      • Brad Downall coordinator
    • East- Oct 7th- Corbin High School
      • Kim Miller Coordinator
    • Northwestern- Hardin County Schools PAC- Oct 14
      • Bart coordinator
    • Northern- Scott HS- Oct 14
      • Wayne Kirsh Coordinator
    • Central- Frederick Douglas HS- Oct 28th
      • Dawn Connerly coordinator

 

Adjudication Sheet Discussion- Jeremy Kisling

  • Jeremy came up with a draft that was based on Virginia model
  • Creating a system that would allow us to possibly send on alternatives to State but it needed to be a scored not just feedback
  • We need to create a rubric to show what a “four” looks like… a “three” etc
    • Would like to High School teacher reps and not teachers to create rubrics
  • Is it similar to SETC?  Is the technical at this level for SETC?
    • Kentucky schools consistently don’t perform at the same technical level as other schools.
  • Will this be used at state as well as regionals
    • Does not have to be used at State
    • Was designed to create a numerical system for regionals
  • Left as a work in progress to check with how it aligns with SETC AND create rubrics
    • Phil, Alischa, Jeremy, and Brad will work
  • Sarah suggested to see how it could be used for Middle Grades

 

Community Theatre- Brad shared for Lisa

  • Community Theatre and their relationship with SETC
    • Read SETC letter
    • SETC created a fee just for CT (less than what HS pays)
      • At State level there is not a lot of participation and CT do not have a lot of money to pay for this
        • Should CT members pay full dues and fully be a part of the conference
        • Should CT become a separate conference
          • Sarah suggested it be separate because the way the time is set up for CT shows it does not allow for them to participate in the full conference
          • If CT splits off what would stop the High School not to want to split off
            • HS has similar issues with not being able to fully participate in the conference
          • Simual issues happened in Indiana and they split off.  It was best for the Community Theaters
        • Jeremy needs feedback before Fall meeting Sept 9-11th

Website- Zac Ross

  • Are we doing a good enough job sharing with people across the state what KTA does?
  • Does our Website give enough information about what we do?
  • Zach had a new teacher look at the website and she had a lot of questions.
    • Give a bigger overview of what each section of the website to give a “new to KTA” view of what we do and what KTA is all about
    • This would help with membership
  • About Us page
    • What does our mission mean more specifically?
    • What do we do more than just festival
  • Membership
    • What do people get as members?
      • Possible ideas
        • An event calendar where members can promote their events
        • Discussion board
        • Audition and work opportunity boards
        • Teacher- resource sharing (shows and lessons)  
        • Membership spotlight
        • A members section
          • How would we do log in?
            • Possibly adding memberpress that allows this pretty easily and is inexpensive $99/ year
            • Simple to use/ it is user generated
            • Might need for all membership to be done online
            • Would need to make sure that there is a way for paying through purchase order for Schools
      • Do we need to monitor the Facebook page differently if we offer this?  Something to discuss in the future.

Roots of the Bluegrass

  • Entry form is ready to be sent out
  • Updated a new e-mail address
    • We have a registered e-mail for KTA that email will just forward to who ever is connected to the e-mail
  • Added a paragraph that says that they need to agree to KTA cutting their play for performance at the RotB performance
  • Kathi said that she is a tentative yes to assist with the cuttings again this year if she can.
  • Hoping to get it out tomorrow 6/5/17

 

SETC- Jeremy Kisling

  • States have discussed with SETC about getting liability insurance for all state groups to save money
  • States may be asked to kick in money to create an app for festival
  • Let Jeremy know if there is anything you want taken to the Fall meeting

 

KCAE

  • No update

State Conference- Brad Downall

  • Kim said all sites have been reserved
  • Can Kim put together a list of hotels and food/ restaurants for our members

 

New Business

  • Board member pledge/ outline commitment for board members
  • Aug 27th 2-4pm meeting will be onsite meeting for final conference plans
  • End of Sept.- conference call to finalize regional

4:00pm Adjourn

  • Kim Miller Moved to Adjourn and Wayne Seconded

 

Related Posts